Plans make dreams realities
It’s wonderful to have a dream, to spend time imagining what you would do if you had all the time, money and energy to do whatever you wished.
But dreaming and visualising alone is not enough. You need action.
Whatever success looks like for you, a plan is essential for making it happen.
Think big then get smart
Most people have heard of SMART goals – that’s Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Time bound (or one of the similar variations).
While this encourages tangible goals, beginning with the SMART approach can be limiting. This is because many people hear the word ‘realistic’ and treat it like a ceiling.
Instead of jumping straight to goal setting, start by picturing your dream in your mind. Notice what you can see, hear, touch, taste and smell so the image becomes vivid.
Ask yourself ‘How big can this be?’
Allow yourself to stretch the possibilities. When you’ve taken your dream as far as you want to take it, work backwards, setting a sequence of SMART goals to get there.
Be honest with yourself
Be realistic about how much time you have to dedicate to creating success. Your path has to be sustainable or you risk burning out before you get to enjoy your achievements.
Remember, life isn’t a race. Don’t set crazy timescales and use every hack to cram more and more into each day while squeezing out all the joy.
Be honest about how long your journey needs to be.
If you start now and take regular action at a sustainable pace you will get there. And, you’re likely to enjoy the journey as much as the destination.
Get into a routine
Successful days build up to create successful results.
The first hour of your morning is one of the most powerful. It can set the tone for the rest of the day. So, get your days off to a successful start with a great morning routine.
Choose 3 to 5 things to include and commit to doing at least 1 every day so you can always do something to start your day successfully no matter how rushed you are.
Here are some ideas…
- Make your bed – sounds simple but it means you always successfully complete your first task of the day and it’ll be ready to welcome you back when it’s time for sleep.
- Meditate – Try a five-minute meditation during which you visualise having a successful day ahead or simply allow yourself to experience peace so your mind begins the day in a calm state.
- Express gratitude – Jot down ten things you are grateful for in a notebook and welcome positive feelings.
- Move – Enjoy an energising exercise routine, walk or gentle stretching.
- Fuel up – Make a nutrient-rich breakfast and prepare a healthy lunch. You’ll reduce the temptation to grab processed food later and it’ll save you money.
- Get inspired – Read an inspiring book, listen to podcast or watch a TED Talk.
In addition, it’s important to write down your top three priorities in your planner to focus your mind so you’ll make time for what matters most to you. Doing this helps avoid your desires being lost to busyness or a to-do list filled with other people’s requirements.
Hold yourself accountable
Take a few minutes to reflect at the end of every day so you’ll grow from your experiences and celebrate your successes. Reflection is also a great opportunity to let go and forgive so you can head into your evening in peace.
Use you planner to keep a track of your progress and look back regularly to appreciate how far you’ve come. It will keep you motivated.
You can also join the Original Life Club for support and accountability. It’s free!
Plan the path and start enjoying your success.
It's wonderful to dream and imagine how great your life could be. Whatever success looks like for you, there are four ways planning can make it happen.